ALBION, Mich. – Albion College gained its first victory of the season over a regionally ranked rival with it came from behind to score a 2-1 result over Carthage (Wis.) College at the Davis Athletic Complex.
Albion started well. It maintained possession throughout the first half, though it resulted it only one shot on goal (an attempt by Gabe Martinez in the 32nd minute).
Carthage picked up an injection of energy when Kevin Mahoney converted a penalty kick in the 49th minute.
The Red Men, ranked 10th in the current Central Region survey released by the United Soccer Coaches, were able to play back and keep the ball from the Albion forwards for the next 15 minutes.
Albion, ranked eighth in the region, got a break in the 78th minute when it was awarded a penalty kick. Kyle Bourlier scored his second goal of the season to level the score.
Fueled by the momentum of Bourlier's goal, Jason Warras and Will Colborn had shots on goal denied by Carthage goalkeeper Niko Mavrogiannis. Warras had a 1-on-1 opportunity, but Mavrogiannis came off his line decisively to make the kick save.
Colborn eventually came through with the winning goal in the 84th minute. Losing his balance in the box, Colborn got enough on a pass from Alex Spratte for his fourth goal of the season.
"Give credit to our guys for not being done," Albion Head Coach Wytse Molenaar said after his team improved to 5-2-2 overall. "It's always good to win a match versus a regionally ranked opponent. As coaches we can always find ways to improve. It wasn't perfect, but it was good enough."
- Albion was ranked in the United Soccer Coaches regional poll for the third consecutive week. With the result on Tuesday, Albion expects to remain ranked for another week.
- Albion's non-league schedule included four ranked opponents.
- Albion played Wheaton College (ranked sixth in the Central Region) to a 2-2 draw on Sept. 4.
- The Britons played Willamette University (ranked fourth in the West Region) to a scoreless draw on Sept. 7.
- North Park University (ranked third in the Central Region) defeated Albion, 3-1, Sept. 19.
- Albion expects to tackle two more regionally ranked foes during the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association campaign. Calvin College currently checks in at No. 2 and Hope College sits at No. 4.
Albion has a week to prepare for Trine University squad that's off to a 6-1-1 start to the season. The Britons and Thunder will meet on the opening night of MIAA action – Wednesday, Oct. 3 – at Albion's Davis Athletic Complex.
Follow the Albion College men's soccer team on Twitter (@AlbionMSoccer) and Instagram (albion_msoccer)